Pint of Science is a non-profit organisation that brings some of the most brilliant scientists to your local pub to discuss their latest research and findings with you. You don't need any prior knowledge, and this is your chance to meet the people responsible for the future of science (and have a pint with them). Our festival runs over a few days in May every year, but we occasionally run events during other months.
In 2012 Dr Michael Motskin and Dr Praveen Paul were two research scientists at Imperial College London in the UK. They started and organised an event called ‘Meet the Researchers’. It brought people affected by Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, motor neurone disease and multiple sclerosis into their labs to show them the kind of research they do. It was inspirational for both visitors and researchers. They thought if people want to come into labs to meet scientists, why not bring the scientists out to the people? And so Pint of Science was born. In May 2013 they held the first Pint of Science festival in just three UK cities. It quickly took off around the world and is now in nearly 300 cities. Read more here. A full list of cities can be found on our locations page.
Our events fall into the following topics:
- Beautiful Mind - neuroscience, psychology and psychiatry
- Atoms to Galaxies - physics, chemistry, maths, astronomy
- Our Body - medicine, human biology, health
- Planet Earth - geosciences, plant sciences, zoology
- Tech Me Out - biotechnology, robotics, computers
- Our Society - law, history, politics, policy, languages
- Creative Reactions - art and science come together
...and keep an eye out for some 'special' events.